News and events for the Tuscarawas County Park Department.
The Tuscarawas County Park Department is seeking two (2) part-time Seasonal Workers to help with park groundskeeping and maintenance duties. More information can be found here: https://www.co.tuscarawas.oh.us/employment-opportunities/ Posting will be open until Friday, May 27 at 4:30 pm.
Schedule of Events for 2022
The following is a list of our Schedule of Events for 2022. Check this page or our Facebook page for updates.
- June 15: Summer Walkabout, 8:30-10:30am at the Norma Johnson Center
- June 18: Family Fishing Day, 9-11:30am at the Norma Johnson Center (Preservation Pond)
- June 21: 1st Day of Summer Yoga, 6pm at the Norma Johnson Center (registration required)
- June 27: Hanging Around with Nature, 9am-12pm at Trenton Heritage Park
- July 7-17: Butterfly Exhibit; M-Sat. 10am-4pm, Sun. 12-4pm at the Norma Johnson Center (Picnic Shelter)
- July 7-17: Pollinator Trail, Dawn to Dusk at the Norma Johnson Center (Conservation)
- August 20: Interpretive History Hike, 1-3pm at Canal Lands Park
- August 23: Summer Yoga, 6pm at the Norma Johnson Center (registration required)
- September 10, “Honoring Our Loved Ones” Lantern Float, 6-9pm at the Norma Johnson Center
- September 19-25, Tuscarawas County Fair Booth
- October 8, Fall Fest at the Norma Johnson Center
- October 16, Canal Tavern 5k Run & Walk at Canal Lands Park
- Santa’s Workshop, 9am to Noon at TBD
- Luminary Walk, 5-7pm at the Norma Johnson Center
2022 Summer Children’s Program
Click here to register for our Summer Children’s programming (Eventbrite link). There is no fee for the programs, but donations are accepted.
Interacting with Nature, Tuesdays from 10am to Noon
- June 7, Pond Dipping at the Norma Johnson Center
- June 14, Stream Exploration at Canal Lands Park
- June 21, Nature Exploration at Trenton Heritage Park
- June 28, Shelter Building at the Norma Johnson Center
- July 12, Butterflies at the Norma Johnson Center
- July 19, Pollinator Walk at the Norma Johnson Center
- July 26, Macro Invertebrates at Canal Lands Park
Summer Crafting at the NJC, Thursdays from 10am to Noon
- June 9, Canvas/Board Paint Project
- June 16, Piggy Bank Personlization
- June 23, TBD
- July 14, Butterfly Crafts
- July 21, TBD
- July 28, Concrete Stone
2022 Homeschool Wednesday
This program is held on the second Wednesday of the month from 9-11am. Registration is required and can be done by emailing Marsha Freeland at email@example.com
- October 12, Fall Hike at the Norma Johnson Center
- November 9, TBD
- December 14 TBD
The Tuscarawas County Park Department may temporarily close specific areas within their jurisdiction to all visitors upon a determination that such action is necessary for reasons of weather, resource protection or management, permitted special events, avoidance of conflict among visitor activities, law enforcement, or other situations involving public health, safety, or welfare. Maintenance crews may also temporarily close specific areas for construction, reconstruction, or maintenance purposes.
Whenever the Tuscarawas County Park Department temporarily closes access to property within its jurisdiction, the public shall be notified by one or more of the following methods:
- On the Park Department website or Facebook page
- Signs or physical barriers
- Mass communication in other media such as print, radio, or other electronic communication (newsletters, etc.)
Due to close proximity to the Tuscarawas River, flooding is a concern along the Canal Lands Towpath Trail. If the Dover Dam water elevation levels are above 885 ft., access at the Canal Lands Park trailhead is likely flooded and the Towpath Trail south to SR-800 are underwater. Over 890 ft., the Towpath Trail is only dry and accessible ~1 mile past the Ft. Laurens trailhead, and flooded at the Canal Lands Park and SR-800.
The Army Corps of Engineers note that when the water levels are above 872 ft. at Dover Dam, kayakers should exit the Tuscarawas River at the Canal Lands Park boat launch ramp in Zoar.