Legal Information and Links
These links are provided by the Tuscarawas County Bar Association and the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services. We do not maintain or control these sites and, accordingly, we make no guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the information found in these links. This is not legal advice. For legal advice you should contact an attorney.
See our Legal Disclaimer.
General Local Legal Services Information
General Legal Help from Ohio Legal Help Website
Free Legal Clinic Information
Legal Help from the Ohio State Bar Association
Schedule of Deposits for Security of Court Costs and Filing Fees
- How to Seal/Expunge a Criminal Record
Please visit the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services website for all information regarding how to seal/expunge a Criminal Record (click here for brochure of expungement information). All necessary paperwork, including the Application to Seal a Criminal Record, can be printed from the SEOLS website.
- Certificates of Qualification for Employment (CQE) Information
Domestic Relations (Family Law)
- LawFacts Divorce, Dissolution and Separation
- Standard Parenting Order and Rules Governing Companionship Time
- Long Distance Parenting Orders and Incidental Rules
- Unmarried Mothers’ Custody Rights
- Domestic Violence and Stalking Civil Protection Orders
- Planning for Parenting Time- Ohio's Guide for Parents Living Apart
- Guardian ad Litem (GAL) Information
- Marriage Termination/Parent Education Class notice
- Private Health Insurance Questionnaire notice
- Do's and Don'ts of Divorce brochure from the Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Legal Separation information page
- Helpful Hints for Domestic Relations Filings with Checklists
- Seeking Custody or Support for a Child or Children information page
- Standard Parenting Schedules
- What You Should Know About Refinancing
Refinancing is a process in which you pay off one or more existing debts with a new home loan. This article offers twelve things to consider before refinancing.
- How Do Land Contracts Work
This website offers easy to understand information about the basics of land contracts.
- Wage Garnishment Information
This article introduces wage garnishment and discusses when it is appropriate to challenge and avoid it.
- Preventing Foreclosure
If you own your home and fall behind on the mortgage payments, the lender may threaten foreclosure. This brochure describes what you can do to keep your home.
See also: Save the Dream Ohio
- Energy Disconnection and Reconnection
Many consumers struggle to pay natural gas and electric bills or may face payment-related issues in the future. This fact sheet informs consumers about important rights involving disconnection issues and payment assistance opportunities.
- Your Access to Free Credit Reports
If you've ever applied for a charge account, a personal loan, insurance, or a job, there's a file (“credit report”) about you. Your credit report contains information on where you work and live, how you pay your bills, and whether you've been sued, arrested, or filed for bankruptcy. This article explains how to obtain a free copy of your credit report and how to dispute inaccurate information contained in your credit report.
- Fair Debt Collection
If you use credit cards, owe money on a personal loan, or are paying on a home mortgage, you are a "debtor." If you fall behind in repaying your creditors, or an error is made on your accounts, you may be contacted by a "debt collector." This article explains your rights as a “debtor” against illegal debt collection activities.
- Ohio Consumer Laws
Ohio has enacted a number of laws that dictate how businesses must act regarding solicitations, contracts, home repairs and rebates, as well as many other laws that prohibit deceptive or unfair trade practices. This pamphlet provides general information about these laws.
Landlord - Tenant
- Tenant/Landlord Rights and Obligations
This Ohio Bar Association site provides an explanation of the rights and obligations of both the landlord and the tenant.
- Can My Landlord Just Kick Me Out?
This brochure explains the legal process a landlord must follow in order to evict a tenant. If the landlord does not follow the proper eviction procedure, a tenant may have the right to file a lawsuit against their landlord.
- You Got a Notice to Leave: Now What?
This brochure explains the tenant’s rights after their landlord has asked them to move by giving the tenant a written “notice to leave.”
- Eviction - Second Cause: When Your Landlord Sues You for Rent
This brochure provides information related to eviction, and what do to when your landlord sues you for unpaid rent and/or damage to the rental property. The brochure also provides instructions for filing a “counterclaim” against your landlord if you believe s/he actually owes you money.
- Landlord/Tenant Issues
This website offers information about when rent can be put in escrow and also information about landlords making repairs.
- What to do When Your Landlord Enters Your Home Without Notice
This brochure explains when a landlord is allowed to enter a tenant’s home, with or without notice. The brochure also contains a letter which the tenant may send to their landlord if the landlord has entered their home illegally.
- Deposit Information
This site has Q & A about Ohio giving tenants security deposit rights; and
This site has a booklet about security deposits.
- Ending a Lease
This pamphlet describes a tenant’s rights and responsibilities in ending and breaking their lease.
- Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Manufactured (Mobile) Home Park Resident
This booklet is about your rights and responsibilities as a manufactured (mobile) home dweller. It is important for you to know your rights and duties when renting mobile homes, or lots on which to place your own home, so you can avoid some problems.
- Cash Assistance/Ohio Works First program
This site answers questions about eligibility and applying for cash assistance;
This site includes a program description and general overview of the requirements; and
This site from another county includes an explanation of the OWF (Ohio Works First) Program.
- Food Stamps Benefits
The Food Stamp program is designed to raise nutritional levels, to expand buying power, and to safeguard the health and well-being of individuals in low-income households in Ohio. This pamphlet provides general information about Ohio’s Food Stamp Program.
- Civil Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for civil cases.
- Domestic Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for domestic relations (family law) cases.
- Foreclosure Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for foreclosure cases.
- Citizen Guides
Citizen guides from the Ohio Judicial Conference on topics such as Representing Yourself, Legal Terminology, Mediation, Jury Service and more.
- Help with Legal Terms
- How to Find a Lawyer
The Tuscarawas County Bar Association website offers a helpful article on how to find an attorney in Tuscarawas County. The Member Directory lists TCBA members by name or practice area.
- Ohio Revised Code
- Ohio General Assembly
- Ohio Rules of Court
- Ohio Law Library
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Courts
- Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Tuscarawas County Probate and Juvenile Court
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio
- Southeastern Ohio Legal Services
- Public Defender’s Office
- 5th District Court of Appeals
- Ohio Supreme Court
- New Philadelphia Municipal Court
- Southern District Court- Tuscarawas County Court (Uhrichsville)
- Tuscarawas County Convention and Visitor's Bureau
- Tuscarawas County Law Library and Notary Information
- Ohio Legal Help site for Civil Law issues
- Legal help for senior citizens ProSeniors