There are three members of the Board of
Commissioners. They are elected by the residents of the county
to serve a four-year term. There are no specific qualifications
that a commissioner must have to run for the office. In
accordance to the Ohio Revised Code the job is to be part-time.
- ADVERTISE & CONDUCT HEARINGS -The Board must advertise and conduct the hearings for the following:
Budgets, Road & Bridge changes, Annexation, Watersheds, Taxes, Road Vacation, Block Grant, etc. This gives
the residents an opportunity to learn about the project and also to input their opinion.
- ADVERTISE & ACCEPT BIDS - The Board must advertise and accept bids for the following: Equipment, Vehicles,
Insurance, Materials, Fuel, Projects, Major Repair of Buildings, Paving, etc.
- SELECT CITIZENS FOR APPOINTMENTS - The Board must select residents of our county to the following boards:
Kent State University-Tuscarawas Campus, Board of Developmental Disabilities, Commission on Ageing,
Tuscarawas County Public Library,
Regional Planning, Public Defenders, Multi-County Juvenile, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services,
Recycling & Litter Prevention, Housing Authority, Multi-County
Solid Waste District, Self-Help, Emergency Management, Local
Emergency Planning Committee, and Convention & Visitors Bureau,
and Tuscarawas County Law Library Resource Board.
- MAINTENANCE OF BUILDINGS - The Board is responsible for maintaining the following public buildings: Court House,
County Office Building, Job & Family Services, Jail, Board of Education, Health Department,
and various parking lots owned by the County.
- Insures approximately fifty (50) structures, including the fairgrounds and jail.
- Insures all county owned vehicles.
- Lobbies in Columbus and Washington DC concerning legislation, grants, regulations, etc. that affect
- Cooperates with townships, cities, villages and county office holders in areas of mutual concern.
- Cooperates with leaders in agriculture, business, labor, industry, education, etc. in attracting more
job opportunities for residents of our county.
- Cooperates with other counties on mutual concerns, such as the Multi-County Solid Waste Disposal Agency.
- Serves on several boards including: Data, Revision, Multi-County Juvenile Attention System,
Stark-Tuscarawas-Wayne Counties Solid Waste District, Ohio Mid-Eastern Governments Association, Harcatus,
Children & Family First Council, Recycling & Litter Prevention, Emergency Management Agency, Local Emergency
Planning Committee. County Commissioners Association of Ohio and the National Association of Counties.
- Must conform to the Ohio Revised Code Rules and Regulations.
- Obligates and approves a balanced budget for the County.
OFFICES DIRECTLY UNDER THE COMMISSIONERS
Community & Economic Development
Department of Job & Family Services
Homeland Security & Emergency Management Agency
Flood Plain Coordinator
Metropolitan Sewer District