Legal Information and Links
These links are provided by the Tuscarawas County Bar Association and the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services. We do not maintain or control these sites and, accordingly, we make no guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the information found in these links. This is not legal advice. For legal advice you should contact an attorney.
See our Legal Disclaimer.
General Local Legal Services Information
Lawfacts Legal Pamphlets
Schedule of Deposits for Security of Court Costs and Filing Fees
- How to Seal/Expunge a Criminal Record
Please visit the Southeastern Ohio Legal Services website for all information regarding how to seal/expunge a Criminal Record. All necessary paperwork, including the Application to Seal a Criminal Record, can be printed from the SEOLS website.
- Certificates of Qualification for Employment (CQE) Information
Domestic Relations (Family Law)
- LawFacts Divorce, Dissolution and Separation
- Standard Parenting Order and Rules Governing Companionship Time
- Long Distance Parenting Orders and Incidental Rules
- Unmarried Mothers’ Custody Rights
- Domestic Violence and Stalking Civil Protection Orders
- Planning for Parenting Time- Ohio's Guide for Parents Living Apart
- Guardian ad Litem (GAL) Information
- Marriage Termination/Parent Education Class notice
- Private Health Insurance Questionnaire notice
- Do's and Don'ts of Divorce brochure from the Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Legal Separation information page
- Helpful Hints for Domestic Relations Filings with Checklists
- What You Should Know About Refinancing
Refinancing is a process in which you pay off one or more existing debts with a new home loan. This article offers twelve things to consider before refinancing.
- What You Should Know About Land Contracts
A Land Contract is an agreement by a Seller to sell you land and a house on that land and for an agreed price. This brochure offers general information on using land contracts.
- Wage Garnishment: What is it? How do I avoid it? How do I challenge it?
This article introduces wage garnishment and discusses when it is appropriate to challenge and avoid it.
- Preventing Foreclosure
If you own your home and fall behind on the mortgage payments, the lender may threaten foreclosure. This brochure describes what you can do to keep your home.
- Energy Disconnection and Reconnection
Many consumers struggle to pay natural gas and electric bills or may face payment-related issues in the future. This fact sheet informs consumers about important rights involving disconnection issues and payment assistance opportunities.
- Your Access to Free Credit Reports
If you've ever applied for a charge account, a personal loan, insurance, or a job, there's a file (“credit report”) about you. Your credit report contains information on where you work and live, how you pay your bills, and whether you've been sued, arrested, or filed for bankruptcy. This article explains how to obtain a free copy of your credit report and how to dispute inaccurate information contained in your credit report.
- Fair Debt Collection
If you use credit cards, owe money on a personal loan, or are paying on a home mortgage, you are a "debtor." If you fall behind in repaying your creditors, or an error is made on your accounts, you may be contacted by a "debt collector." This article explains your rights as a “debtor” against illegal debt collection activities.
- Ohio Consumer Laws
Ohio has enacted a number of laws that dictate how businesses must act regarding solicitations, contracts, home repairs and rebates, as well as many other laws that prohibit deceptive or unfair trade practices. This pamphlet provides general information about these laws.
- Home Buying Guide
This brochure from The Fannie Mae Foundation provides important information everyone thinking of buying a home should have. This brochure will assist you with buying your home.
Landlord - Tenant
- Ohio Landlord-Tenant Law: What You Should Know!
Understanding the rights of both the tenant and the landlord is an important part of a successful tenant/landlord relationship. This booklet provides useful information regarding the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in the state of Ohio.
- Can My Landlord Just Kick Me Out?
This brochure explains the legal process a landlord must follow in order to evict a tenant. If the landlord does not follow the proper eviction procedure, a tenant may have the right to file a lawsuit against their landlord.
- You Got a Notice to Leave: Now What?
This brochure explains the tenant’s rights after their landlord has asked them to move by giving the tenant a written “notice to leave.”
- Eviction - Second Cause: When Your Landlord Sues You for Rent
This brochure provides information related to eviction, and what do to when your landlord sues you for unpaid rent and/or damage to the rental property. The brochure also provides instructions for filing a “counterclaim” against your landlord if you believe s/he actually owes you money.
- How to Get Your Landlord to Make Repairs: Rent Escrow
This packet of information will provide the information and forms needed for you to file your rent payments with the court until needed repairs are made by your landlord.
- What to do When Your Landlord Enters Your Home Without Notice
This brochure explains when a landlord is allowed to enter a tenant’s home, with or without notice. The brochure also contains a letter which the tenant may send to their landlord if the landlord has entered their home illegally.
- How to Get Your Security Deposit Back
Landlords often require security deposits before they will rent to any tenant. The security deposit is an amount of money the tenant must pay to the landlord before moving into the rental unit. The landlord keeps this money until the lease is finished just to make sure that the tenant does not break the lease or destroy the rental unit. This brochure explains your landlord’s obligations with regard to your security deposit. The brochure also contains the forms needed for you to file a lawsuit against your landlord for the return of your security deposit.
- Ending a Lease
This pamphlet describes a tenant’s rights and responsibilities in ending and breaking their lease.
- Your Rights and Duties as a Mobile Home Park Resident This booklet is about your rights and responsibilities as a mobile home dweller. It is important for you to know your rights and duties when renting mobile homes, or lots on which to place your own home, so you can avoid some problems.
- Cash Assistance
This link provides complete information about applying for, receiving, and maintaining cash assistance from the government.
- Food Stamps Benefits
The Food Stamp program is designed to raise nutritional levels, to expand buying power, and to safeguard the health and well-being of individuals in low-income households in Ohio. This pamphlet provides general information about Ohio’s Food Stamp Program.
- How Can I Resolve Benefits Disputes?
When you do not agree with the decisions your caseworker or the welfare office makes on your case, you have the right to a county conference and a state hearing. If you have a problem with Ohio Works First, Prevention, Retention and Contingency (PRC), Medicaid, Child Support or Food Stamps, you have a right to ask for a state hearing. This brochure explains the hearing process.
- Civil Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for civil cases.
- Domestic Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for domestic relations (family law) cases.
- Foreclosure Mediation Program
This brochure describes the court's mediation program for foreclosure cases.
- Citizen Guides
Citizen guides from the Ohio Judicial Conference on topics such as Representing Yourself, Legal Terminology, Mediation, Jury Service and more.
- Help with Legal Terms
- How to Find a Lawyer
The Tuscarawas County Bar Association website offers a helpful article on how to find an attorney in Tuscarawas County. The Member Directory lists TCBA members by name or practice area.
- Ohio Revised Code
- Ohio General Assembly
- Ohio Rules of Court
- Ohio Law Library
- Tuscarawas County Clerk of Courts
- Tuscarawas County Bar Association
- Tuscarawas County Probate and Juvenile Court
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio
- Southeastern Ohio Legal Services
- Public Defender’s Office
- 5th District Court of Appeals
- Ohio Supreme Court
- New Philadelphia Municipal Court
- Southern District Court- Tuscarawas County Court (Uhrichsville)
- Tuscarawas County Convention and Visitor's Bureau
- Tuscarawas County Law Library and Notary Information